Approximately 16% of campus employees currently receive paper paychecks, resulting in the printing and manual distribution of about 1,100 paychecks each month. The campus has an opportunity to improve administrative efficiency, reduce costs, and ensure more timely delivery of paychecks to employees by maximizing the number of employees who are enrolled in Direct Deposit. In addition, with the scheduled closure of the campus during the holidays (i.e. closing Wednesday, December 24, 2014 and reopening on Monday, January 5, 2015), two pay dates occur during this period:
- Tuesday, December 30, 2014 (for pay period 12/7-12/20 bi-weekly)
- Friday, January 2, 2015 (for pay period 12/1-12/31 monthly)
In order to avoid delays in receiving pay during the winter holiday curtailment period, and to improve efficiency and reduce cost, employees receiving paper paychecks are encouraged to immediately enroll in Direct Deposit (also known as SurePay). Direct Deposit is the electronic, secure transfer of payments directly to an individual’s bank account. There are many benefits to receiving payments electronically such as:
- Direct Deposit is more secure than paper checks. Paper checks can be lost, stolen or misplaced.
- Direct Deposits reach the payee’s account the day the payment is effective (e.g. pay day), even if you are out of town, sick, or unable to get to your financial institution.
- Many financial institutions offer free or lower-cost checking to customers with Direct Deposit.
- Direct Deposit can save time and fuel costs by avoiding trips to cash or deposit paper checks.
- Direct Deposit is paperless, so it helps the environment.
- Direct Deposit allows other payments by the University (e.g. travel and other reimbursements) to be processed electronically.
- Direct Deposit payments made during the holiday closure will be posted to employees’ accounts on the pay date.
For employees with existing checking or savings accounts, switching to Direct Deposit is simple. There are two easy and stress free methods to enroll:
- Online via At Your Service Online (AYSO): https://atyourserviceonline.ucop.edu/ayso/ using the Income & Taxes-Direct Deposit menu option, or
- Complete the direct deposit enrollment form available at: prc-upay7025directdeposit.pdf and submit to the departmental Payroll Transactor or mail to the UCR Payroll Office.
To assist employees who do not currently have a checking or savings account with a financial institution, two campus events are scheduled (see flyer). Seven financial institutions will be available to discuss their products and assist with opening a checking/savings accounts. All of the participating financial institutions conveniently have branches within a one mile radius of the campus. At the same event, our payroll and human resources staff will be available to assist employees with signing up for Direct Deposit. The event dates are:
- October 9, 2014 – 10:00 – 1:00 PM – Pentland Hills (The Bear Cave)
- October 28, 2014 – 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM – HUB 269
Employees are welcome to drop-in any time during the event to meet with representatives. For those unable to attend one of the events, information packets will be available in the Payroll and Human Resources Offices.
Please note the activation of Direct Deposit can take up to fourteen (14) calendar days. Employees converting to Direct Deposit are encouraged to enroll by December 5, 2014 to avoid delays in receiving pay during the holiday closure. As an added incentive, individuals currently receiving paper checks and converting to deposit by December 5, 2014 will be entered into a raffle to win one of five $50 gift cards.
Paper paychecks for employees not electing to receive Direct Deposit will be available when the campus re-opens on January 5, 2014.
Please direct questions to email@example.com. Your cooperation in this important initiative is appreciated.